I have three boys under the age of five. Needless to say, life is a bit crazy at times. A couple weeks ago, it felt as if everything was going wrong. My world was spinning out of control without the essential manners – the sharing of toys or kids sleeping in their own bed.
I felt as if I was drowning.
On one very sleep deprived morning, it occurred to me that I was focusing on the negative – the moments of rudeness, tantrums, and the many games of midnight-musical-beds. By law of attraction, my fixation on the negative aspects of my life was simply creating more of what I did not want. So I quickly changed gears and created what we now call “the kindness jar.” The kindness jar sits upon our kitchen counter next to a big vase filled with pom poms. Now when random acts of kindness occur, the “kindness-hero” gets to place a pom pom in the kindness jar.
The rules of the kindness jar include the following:
- One can not ask to place a pom pom in the jar. Questions like, “If I do that, can I put a pom pom in the jar?” are illegal.
- Pom poms are never a source of bribery. The random acts of kindness must be genuine and individually derived.
- Pom poms are never removed from the jar as a source of punishment.
- Personal satisfaction is the only reward for filling the entire jar with pom poms.
- Anyone can acknowledge a nice deed and suggest that the “kindness-hero” of the moment be rewarded with a pom pom.
My three boys still fight, argue, and complain – but the practice of the kindness jar has decreased the contention significantly. The mere acknowledgement of kindness has created more love, happiness, and gratitude in our home.
You do not have to create an actual kindness jar to acknowledge kindness in your life. I challenge you to take a moment to acknowledge the kindness that has been bestowed upon you today. These acts may range from a smile from a stranger, someone that helps you with your kids at the grocery store, or a random check in the mail. Express appreciation, pay it forward, and open your heart to receive a shower of kindness.
“The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.”
– Oprah Winfrey
Fill your soul with praise and celebrations for the marvelous blessings and kindness that surround you. Regardless of your circumstances, your life is filled with miracles – you only need acknowledge them. The first step to true emotional and physical health involves celebrating kindness – you can start today.