Once upon a time, I didn’t know how to cook. As newly-weds, we ate stroganoff for dinner every week along with cheesy soup, enchiladas, and cereal. The day quickly came when I thought one more bite of stroganoff would KILL me.
I hounded people for recipes like a moth begging for light. My survival depended upon it.
Our stroganoff death-binge taught me one thing.
I like variety.
I rarely make the same thing twice, unless the dish is beyond incredible. When it comes to healthy eating, you have to be willing to “shake it up a bit.” Living off of lettuce alone may increase your chances of looking awesome in that bikini, but after a while you are going to binge on something not-so-amazing. Matt Stone in Diet Recovery teaches that dieting is like holding your breath. You can only hold it for so long. Eventually you are going to have to breathe again if you want to live.
Changing up my meals makes healthy food exciting. Plain and simple. It helps me learn my boundaries and avoid the deprivation/binge cycle of dieting.
Here are some of our favorite recipe finds this week:
- Cinnamon Bun Recipe by Thank Your Body. Made these and my kids went nuts. Literally. I was queen mom for two hours. I will be making these again soon.
- Sweet Potato Quinoa and Black Bean Casserole by Home Grown and Healthy. What isn’t to love about sweet potatoes and quinoa? Left-overs were amazing and we fought over them until they disappeared.
- Girl Scout Fudge Babies by Chocolate Covered Katie. One word: AMAZING!
- Sweet Potato Brown Rice Egg Skillet by Naturally Ella. We have made this dish multiple times and it never fails. Sweet potatoes with rice and eggs all meshed in a skillet makes for one amazing meal with easy cleanup… and the kids love it. All in all – this dish is a home run.
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas by Six Sisters Stuff. Your going to love this. I mashed the cooked chicken in my cuisinart and hid it with a cup or two of rice inside the enchiladas. My “I-hate-meat-child” devoured it with no complaints. He thought the white stuff was rice… I wasn’t about to correct him.
- Homemade Green Chili Sauce by Mels Kitchen. I was licking this stuff off my fingers. I will never buy canned green chili sauce again. And as an added bonus – it is easy to make!
Now it’s your turn to share. What amazing recipes did you concoct this week?